Skip to content
login  |  register
Create New Topic Add Reply

The 2013 St. Louis Bowler of the Year is.............well, I don't know.  I don't even know if the winner has been decided yet.  What I do know is that I was unsuccessful in getting Tim Behrendt's name added to the list of nominees for consideration.

Dennis Hacker - 2nd Vice President for the MO State USBC - was ready to submit Tim's application for St. Louis Bowler of the Year on the date that it was due (last June 1st) at the annual state gala that was held in the Lake of the Ozarks.  Dennis had Tim's resume in hand and had all of the proper paperwork ready to go when  Dennis noticed - right before submitting Tim's application - that a brand new stipulation appeared on this year's form, indicating that the person that nominates the applicant must be a member of the St. Louis USBC.  Dennis, despite being a high ranking state USBC official, does NOT pay his dues thru our local USBC.  Therefore, Dennis decided to not submit Tim's application. 

When I learned of this a couple of weeks later, I decided to submit an application on Tim's behalf.  Of course, I knew that the application was being submitted past the deadline, but I was hopeful that our local administration would allow Tim to appear on the ballot, since the "blunder" was made by Dennis, a high ranking state officer.  Despite my efforts, I learned today that I was not persuasive enough to get Tim's name on the ballot for consideration.  Despite winning the Petersen Classic, being voted the Missouri State Bowler of the Year, leading the Master's Traveling League in average etc...., Tim is not eligible to win St. Louis Bowler of the Year for 2013. 

There are several candidates worthy of this award.  Tim Behrendt is one of them.  It is a shame that I was unable to get his name added to the ballot.  Regardless of who wins the award, I just wanted to congratulate Tim on having an outstanding year.

Aug 5, 2013 8:46 pm
Add Reply

Steve, First, congratulations on your induction to the STL USBC Hall of Fame.  Well deserved, even if delayed.

Second, ditto to what you said about Tim Behrendt's accomplishments for the year 2012-2013.  Unfortunately, what never happens with Bowler of the Year vs. Hall of Fame nominees is that the resume that summarizes the candidates' credentials for Bowler of the Year is never seen by anyone but the selection committee, or so it seems.   Even the program at the banquet publishes only the winner and not any info about any others who were nominated.  At least with regard to the Hall of Fame Nominees the entirety of the Hall of Fame membership sees the resumes of those on the ballot and votes.   With regard to Bowler of the Year the broader bowling population is simply left guessing about the decision, who was actually nominated and who wasn't, why they were and why they weren't, etc.  There must be a better way.

Please let it be clear that I'm not accusing anyone of anything here.   A system is a system and the one we have is the one we have.  I just don't think it's the best one we could have.  We're a major metropolitan area, we're not in any shortage of local bowlers who know and understand the game, and there's no reason we should reasonably continue to live with this kind of annual angst about the way we award what we award to those who are recognized as the best among us.

So, I am hereby committing myself to pursuing an active role in these processes.  I don't know what that will entail, but I'll find out.  I don't know if I'll be successful, but I'll try.   I guess I first need to study the STL USBC website soon to figure out what I need to do to get involved.  Admittedly I've never done that before.  Anyone wanna join me?

John Brockland

Roto Grip Staff (www.rotogrip.com) and VISE Staff (www.viseinserts.com)

Ray Orf's Bowling & Trophy Shop Player Staff  (www.rayorfs.com) 314.631.9188

John Brockland

Storm/Roto Grip Pro Shop Staffer (www.stormbowling.com) (www.rotogrip.com)

VISE Staff (www.viseinserts.com)

AdministratorStorm StaffRoto Grip Staff
Aug 5, 2013 10:30 pm
Add Reply

I'll make the same offer I did several years ago...anyone want to be a part of any St. Louis USBC committee need to look no further than the local association office. I'll even supply the phone number 314-645-8747. Last time I made the offer (nearly 3 years ago) there were no takers. Only posts such as these..

Steve, congrats to you for being elected to the St. Louis USBC Hall of Fame as well as the other inductees, Jay & Linda Bradshaw, and Clancy Mueller all for performance. Congrats to Craig Mathews and Glenda Weaver for Meritorious Service. Should be a great evening celebrating the careers of all of these fine individuals. 

Storm Advisory Staff

Trio Sport Pro Shops

If you choose to do the same things over and over, expect the same result!

Storm Advisory Staff

Trio Sport Pro Shops

Storm Staff
Aug 5, 2013 11:29 pm
Add Reply

Well I would like to congratulate Tim Behrendt on a great year of bowling.  It is a shame that the Missouri State Bowler of the Year will not have a chance to win the St. Louis Bowler of the year award because of a mix up on the application. 

Here are a couple of thoughts that come to mind on the matter:

Why did the St. Louis office feel the need to change the application to say “must be turned in by a St. Louis USBC member?     First off why does it matter who turned in the application?  Secondly, what if a bowlers relative wanted to turn in an application but only belonged to St. Charles, Jeff CO, or another association but not St. Louis?  I am aware that Dennis Hacker had the application in hand at the gala in the Lake of the Ozarks but noticed that he was not eligible to turn in the application because we not a current STLUSBC member. 

On the most recent application it clearly states-- Bowlers will be rated on accomplishments within St Louis USBC leagues and tournaments given a higher rating over accomplishments outside of St Louis USBC certification.  When I email the local association to have them provide the application from 2011-2012, they only provided me with the 2008-2009 application.  In the same email I asked for the meeting minutes for the changes and have yet to receive those. 

I am curious to hear others opinions on the matter. 

Aug 6, 2013 8:48 am
Add Reply

Dustin, first I agree with you, Steve, and John that Tim had a great year as well as several others in the St. Louis assn., and I'm not aware of who turned in applications or not as I'm not on that committee.

But, being on the BOD,  I am aware of how things actually work...The "office" does not make those decisions.. There is a seperate committee that oversees the Bowler of the Year award. They submit any changes to their guidelines to the BOD for approval..like I stated, I'm not on that committee so I cannot speak for the decisions they make..

Storm Advisory Staff

Trio Sport Pro Shops

Storm Advisory Staff

Trio Sport Pro Shops

Storm Staff
Aug 6, 2013 10:30 am
Add Reply

To clarify, I take full responsibility for this.  We all have busy lives.  Unfortunately, I waited until the last minute possible to submit this due to my travel schedule leading up to the deadline.  Because I waited so long, I lost my ability to correctly assess the situation and call an audible…and Tim is the unfortunate victim of that.  I truly hate it that on the year he wins the prestigious Petersen Classic, he wasn’t even considered for STL USBC Bowler of the Year.

I’ve personally nominated Tim twice for the BOY honor in Missouri, and once (last year) for STLUSBC BOY.  As you all know, this year he was named Missouri State USBC Adult Bowler of the Year.  I had the information necessary to fill out the form for STL USBC, and would have only needed to add a few additional end of season accomplishments to it.

I was even reminded of the deadline about 10 days prior…but in between that and the actual deadline, I drove to St. Joseph to live stream the Missouri State BPA High School Championships (so I effectively lost Memorial Day weekend) and then left on Monday traveling on business.  The following weekend was the Missouri State USBC Showcase and Hall of Fame Inductions at Tan-Tar-A, but I fully intended on getting it done and handed personally to Dale Bohn at the Showcase—before the deadline. 

As everyone knows, when something can go wrong, it will.  Weather didn’t cooperate in Chicago, and my flight back during the week was delayed.  I arrived at Tan-Tar-A about 2:00 AM on Friday morning, the weekend of the Showcase.  Activities went into full swing on Friday, and I have a lot of responsibilities during this event.  However, I did find an hour to get everything finalized on the afternoon of Saturday, June 1, which was the deadline day.  I started transferring the information to the STL USBC BOY Nomination Form, and had the first page completed.  When I got to the second page, I noticed the new requirement that I be a member of the STL USBC in order to even nominate Tim.  This wasn’t on the form last year, and it was a complete surprise to me.

Had it not been so late on Saturday afternoon, with the Hall of Fame Inductions only hours ahead, I would have sat back, thought about the situation, and concluded that I still had options.

1. I could have taken the application to one of the members of the STL USBC attending the banquet that night, had them sign it as the nominator, and still given it to Dale in the required timeframe.
  2. I could have gone to Dale and paid him the Association Fee for STL USBC Membership, and made myself eligible to nominate Tim. 

The truth is, once I saw the new requirement, I stopped, realized I was at a roadblock, and didn’t think quickly enough to do either of those.  I went on with the business of the day, which was the HOF Banquet and Scholarship awards that were still ahead of us.

I don’t blame the STL USBC for not extending the deadline for this situation.  I did provide Steve with the information requested, and I was hoping that the circumstances surrounding this would be familiar enough to the people who attended the Showcase that they might reconsider.  However, deadlines are deadlines, and when you extend them for special situations like this, you set a precedent that you might have to honor again in the future—and you just can’t do that.

So, my sincere apologies go to Tim for this, and to Steve for his efforts in vain to try to get it allowed after the fact.  Had I simply done the nomination form earlier, we would have had options.

I know there are other worthy candidates for STL USBC BOY this year, and we won't know who it is for a while yet.  To whoever is the winner, I congratulate you.  Just know that if it wasn't for my mistake, you would have had some pretty stiff competition in the decision.

Dennis Hacker

Aug 7, 2013 1:24 pm
Add Reply

Why do you have to be a member of the STL USBC to nominate someone for bowler of the year?  I think you should be a member of the USBC but I don't see the logic that you have to be a member of the STL USBC?

I have not seen the official form for the bowler of the year but why is it stated that it is more important for what you achieve in the STL USBC then outside the area?  I guess next year if I win a USBC CHAMIONSHIP in Reno and get my EAGLE which is what every high caliber bowler wants on their resume I will probably loose out on the STL Bowler of the Year to someone that wins a handful of local tournaments and averages 240 plus on easy conditions?  That make no sense to me?  Just my thoughts.  I am curiuos how other high average bowlers feel?

It is a shame that Tim's application was rejected.  I know there are rules and we need to abide by them, but this is the first year that you have to be nominated by a STL USBC member.  I think the board could have excepted the application even though it was a few weeks late.  Tim is the one that is punished for this and it is a shame because his stats last year were awesome!

Aug 7, 2013 2:31 pm
Add Reply

Hmmmm

You don't have to be a member to nominate a Hall of Fame candidate.

When I was active in bowling, the Bowler of The Year was always controversial.

You, or someone had to lobby to get you in. I'm sure that has not changed. That is what makes this year very difficult.

Good luck to Tim Behrendt.

Norm Friedmeyer

Aug 8, 2013 10:47 pm
Add Reply

So Norm brings up a great point here that you DO NOT have to be a member of the St. Louis USBC to nominate someone for the Hall of Fame. 

So why does someone have to be apart of the ST Louis USBC to nominate someone for bowler of the year?

Anyone else find this odd?

Aug 9, 2013 11:26 am
Add Reply

There were only two people who submitted their names for St. Louis USBC Association Bowler of the Year(in time to be placed on the ballot).

I am not going to put names out on here of who those two were, but I know for a fact who the two names were. 

Unfortunately, our system is in place and that is what we have to work with at this given time.  This is one of the main reasons I have submitted my name and got elected to be a director. I would like to bring a positive change to the association and make changes in the standard procedures that are in place.

I truly believe that the Bowler of the Year should be broken down into say 8 candidates selected by the Directors based upon several different credentials.  Those bowlers would then get a sheet in the mail, stating they are candidates for Bowler of the Year in the St. Louis USBC.  They then put down there resume and submit it back for the vote.  Nobody should ever have to submit their own name for this award.  Most bowlers do not even know this award exist or where to access the information to obtain the application.

It is a very tough award to present because of several different factors.  Not every bowler participates in 36 tournaments a year and bowls 3 leagues a week in score fest facilities. 

If the award is called St. Louis USBC Association Bowler of the Year, then only achievements earned in this association should count.  If the award was called Missouri State USBC Bowler of the Year then it should only take into accounts achievements earned in Missouri events/leagues.

When giving out awards, there will always be controversy. 

Michael Remaklus

Brunswick Staff Member, B is for Bowling!

KingPin Lanes, the St. Louis Official Home of High Scores

Michael Remaklus

Aug 10, 2013 12:26 am
Add Reply

Michael Remaklus

Michael Remaklus

Aug 10, 2013 12:32 am
Add Reply

Mike:

I wondered about that.  I think that's a great idea with regard to selecting candidates and asking for more information.  If all that should count are accomplishments that occur within the control of the STL USBC, then the STL USBC should have all of the information it needs right in WinLABS to come up with those names.  There should be no need for applications.

Considering all of the worthy candidates in STL, I'm disappointed that only 2 were submitted on time.

Thanks for trying to make a difference.

Dennis Hacker

Aug 10, 2013 4:17 pm
Add Reply

The only thing that the office would have would be the accomplishments of honor scores and averages.....another sheet would need to be mailed out in regards to tournament finishes in Gran Prixs, SMBT events, special house events throughout the year at various houses, etc.

I think it is a system that with a few changes could work out to make for a better selection as a whole and make the award much more meaningful to the recipient.

I do not take anything away from people who have won the award under these guidelines by no means, I just think the selection process should start with the USBC and not from each specific bowler themselves. 

Michael Remaklus

Michael Remaklus

Aug 11, 2013 1:12 am
Add Reply

Compliments to Remak for getting involved and putting his effort into this.  As I mentioned above, I'll make my offer to do the same this fall.

Agreed that a better system needs to be pursued and an initiative on the part of the committee to keep an eye on performance throughout the year to identify candidates can only help keep more people invested in what's going on bowling-wise around town.  That would be a good thing.

Personally -- and maybe Remak had this in mind when he wrote about there being various criteria/categories to be considered -- but if we want to encourage bowlers to bowl USBC Nationals every year and to hone their skills on more difficult lane patterns, to bowl PBA Regionals and other upper level caliber tournaments around the country and to help put STL back on the bowling map nation-wide as a region that produces bowlers who can really bowl, then we have to also be doing something to recognize and award/reward those who do this and who succeed in doing so.

This is to take nothing away from those who dedicate themselves to league play and local tournament series.  In my opinion, though, if the only thing that counts when we reward/recognize/award people for their achievements is what happens within the geography of STL then we are taking too limited a view of what we want bowlers to strive to be and do.

John Brockland

Roto Grip Staff (www.rotogrip.com) and VISE Staff (www.viseinserts.com)

John Brockland

Storm/Roto Grip Pro Shop Staffer (www.stormbowling.com) (www.rotogrip.com)

VISE Staff (www.viseinserts.com)

AdministratorStorm StaffRoto Grip Staff
Aug 11, 2013 9:17 am
Add Reply

John,

FYI,

Over the last several years there have been major overhauls to how this award and the criteria used to select the St. Louis USBC bowler of the Year are tabulated. There is now in place a weighted system that rewards bowlers based on local certified competition. It does reward bowlers for honor scores shot in sanctioned play, and to my knowledge rewards double for State and National USBC competitions. If you would like I will try to get my hands on the scoring system and if the committee allows post it on here..

As Mike indicated, our Local Assn can only tabulate "scores" processed through our assn., so trying to keep tabs on certain bowlers is not really feasible. I do like Mike's idea about trying to select maybe the top 6-8 bowlers and initiating from either the committee or the Assn office a process in which to encourage more participation.

Storm Advisory Staff

Trio Sport Pro Shops

Storm Advisory Staff

Trio Sport Pro Shops

Storm Staff
Aug 11, 2013 5:59 pm
Add Reply

Contact  |  Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  © Copyright 2014 InsideBowling.com