Live-Streaming Services Exploding!
Mike Flanagan | InsideBowling.com | Posted: Friday, July 6, 2012 12:46 pm
InsideBowling.com's Live-Streaming Services are being requested by more and more tournament organizations throughout the United States.
I can remember our first InsideBowling.com show as if it were just yesterday. Doug, Tom and myself setting up a make-shift studio in my apartment, and beginning our first online bowling show as I mention our nervousness as some of my first breaths on the air. Jeff Richgels was just announced as one of the newest USBC Hall of Famers and was our first headlining guest. Also joining us on that show were our friends Brian Valenta and Brett Cunningham. Since then, the biggest names in bowling have accepted our invitation to come on the show including Pete Weber, who has joined us in studio on several occasions. It's the willingness of the top individuals in our industry to give up their time, and the help from organizations (PBA, USBC, BPAA, etc.) that really make our show worthwhile.
Also, back in 2010, Doug and myself bowled the Holiday Doubles Tournament in Cahokia, Illinois while streaming with my webcam on my laptop as we went from pair to pair. Proprietor Mark Brevard has supported us since day one, and I distinctly remember him moving the extension cord from lane to lane as we bowled. It is humbling to remember where we started and I will never forget just how much our streaming services have grown.
We have streamed a lot since 2010 (High Stakes Bowling matches, local tournaments, InsideBowling.com shows, InsideBowling.com Opens, specialized interviews, Women's Bowling Alliance, High School State Championships, and more). Over the course of that time, we have grown beyond our expectations. Brian Burkhardt is always pushing us to do more by purchasing additional equipment, integrating his expertise, and learning from hours of testing at the BowlSpot.com offices.
Three things specifically stick out to me when it comes to live-streaming:
- Chat Room: We have very loyal fans and relatives of bowlers viewing and participating in our chats online. We cover everything from professional sports, food cravings, the greatest debates in the industry, and of course the live bowling action taking place in each venue. It's these fans that make us want to do more and makes us feel like it's all worth it.
- Commentators & Special Guests: To go back and think that Parker Bohn III, Jeff Carter, Pete Weber, Tom Hess, Shannon O'Keefe, David O'Sullivan, Jason Guest, Brian Valenta, Jeff Richgels have all sat in our booth simply says how giving the individuals of our sport can be. In addition to the biggest names in bowling, it's refreshing to get help from the local bowlers as well. Combining local talent/personalities along with polished professionals has allowed us to offer a variety of ways to present bowling information. Thank you to our volunteer "on-air" voices such as Don Bergstrom, Brad Jenkins, Lee Boudouris, Steve Orf, Dan Schaeppi, Dennis Hacker, Jackie Bowling, "Iggy" Strode, and Alena Mathews for their allegiance to InsideBowling.com.
- Competitors & Their Families: Bowlers that participate in our events show their appreciation for live-streaming by posting on social media streams, stopping in to say hello to their fans, and even sometimes by bringing us our favorite beverages. Many great feel-good stories have come from our chats and e-mails. Several bowlers have their entire family log-on to catch a glimpse of the action, and it's awesome when an entire family dominates the chat room. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, girlfriends, boyfriends...... all log on to check up on their hometown favorite. One email I received was from a pastor at a church that said he put the live-stream up on the big screen while getting ready for a special church event. It's cool stories like this that makes us feel like we are growing the game. And it's extra special when we see some of our bowling celebrities, brand managers, and the "who's who" in bowling stop in and say hello.
I want to thank Bowl.com's staff of Lucas Wiseman, Jason Overstreet, Matt Lawson, and Pete Treadwell for their constant commitment to bringing live bowling coverage to each of us through their BowlTV YouTube Channel. Their willingness to share information with us is invaluable and appreciated.
In addition, a very special thanks goes out to the PBA. Tom Clark, Mike Jakubowski, and Jason Thomas have been there to bounce ideas off of as well as allow me to be part of the Xtra Frame crew during this year's Senior US Open. I can tell you that Xtra Frame is a great product and the amount of time that gets put into their broadcasts is unprecedented.
Networking has been key to the success of our live-streaming as well. We have an allegiance to many of the online bowling shows as well as the support of the ball manufacturers and pro-shops. It's the bowling centers that may be our biggest supporters as our service provides a "radio remote" atmosphere and creates buzz within their center.
Without our sponsors and the support from the bowlers and their fans, none of this would be possible. We appreciate all of the support and are continuing to bring you the very best grass-roots coverage we can. If you or someone you know would like to use our services for live-streaming through IBTVlive, please email me at email@example.com.
Below is a list of the upcoming broadcasts scheduled through September 2012:
July 13th -15th - Proprietor's Cup/Ace Mitchell Team Challenge - Beaver Vu Bowl - Dayton, Ohio (Live coverage Friday, Saturday, & Sunday) www.proprietorscup.com
- Billy Eysoldt's Megabuck Bowling Event comes to fruition beginning on Friday night for the Ace Mitchell Team Challenge. Many top pros representing their ball companies will be participating in the team challenge. Saturday is the $1,100 entry-fee main event qualifying rounds. On Sunday, the first Proprietor's Cup Champion will be named and we will be on hand to bring you all of the action from start to finish.
August 4th - 5th - Jeff Carter's Mary Teubner Team Challenge - King Pin Lanes - Springfield, Illinois (Live coverage Saturday & Sunday)
- Jeff Carter loves team bowling and he has a big event scheduled for the first weekend in August. Join Jeff as he leads the charge to raise money for Cancer research in honor of Mary Teubner. This team event is nearly full, offers $10,000 for first place, and has most of the top bowlers in the Midwest participating. Friday night features a pro-am, with the team event taking place on Saturday and Sunday.
August 18th - 19th - 11thFrame.com Open presented by Insidebowling.com - Cherry Lanes - Dubuque, Iowa (Live coverage Saturday & Sunday)
- Head to Dubuque and you won't be sorry. We take our show on the road to beautiful Cherry Lanes inside the Diamond Jo Casino in the quaint community of Dubuque, Iowa. Bob Hocrein (general manager) is a PBA Regional champion and knows what it takes to put on a first class event. Combine InsideBowling.com's tournament staff and Jeff Richgels' journalism, and you have a first-class event. $4,000 is guaranteed for first place regardless of entries, and a great time is guaranteed to be had by all. Pay online by July 18th, and receive some great perks ($20 in free slot play, 2 for 1 buffet, and a night club pass). REGISTER HERE!
September 15th-16th - Fusion Realtors Open - Cadillac Lanes - Waterloo, Iowa (Live coverage Saturday & Sunday)
- This event is being put on by Joe Engelkes and his Greater Iowa Bowling Association. There is over $12,000 in added money for this event thanks to Fusion Realtors and the Waterloo Convention and Visitors Bureau. Entry fee is $120, with $100 going to the prize fund and $20 for bowling fees. Limited to the first 192 entries. 1 in 3 cash ratio with $3,000 going to the champion.
To watch our live-broadcasts visit our IBTvLive page.